||Tool that enables obtaining multi-sided or curved objects with any kind of cross-section.
Especially useful in creating curved walls and ceilings, spiral stairs, cupolas, vaults, conical elements, pyramid-shaped elements, cornices, banisters etc.
The tool is based on drawing a cross-section (every bi-dimensional shape) and on setting the radius of a curvature.
After selecting "List" > "Base" > "Drawing" > "Lathe", we advice adding it directly to the scene (clicking on "ADD") and pressing "page down" (from the keyboard) to hide all the control panels (not necessary in this phase) from the scene.
Two axes (horizontal and vertical) will appear on the screen. Where they cross forms a slider (cursor) with which, moving the mouse, it is possible to draw the edge of the section. The distance from the origin (of the axes) at which this section is drafted is the radius of curvature.
Appearing on the small panel of the screen are the following functions:
- the directional keys, for moving and zooming the drawing on the screen;
- the snap, very useful in setting the dimensions (100 cm, 50 cm, 10 cm, 5 cm, 1 cm);
- the three modes which enables drawing the object (DRAW), modifying it (DRAG) or moving the cursor to a selected point (POINT);
- "UNDO", for annulling the last input;
- "DIM", for making dimensions visible or invisible on the screen;
- "3D" key, which enables seeing the object in 3D mode in the 3D scene, returning to the previous regime ("list", "build" or "tour").
After drawing the object it can be easily modified in "Build" regime with "OBJECT" (panel III). It is possible:
- to set its position in the scene;
- to set its angle in comparison to the three axes X, Y, Z;
- to set the number of sides;
- to set the cutting angle, the angle subtending to that part of the circumference which is to be cut;
- to modify the scale (proportion) of the object along the three different axes X, Y, Z;
- to apply two kinds of textures: one for the section (if visible) and the second for all the other faces;
- to go back to the "DRAWING" mode with "Switch 3D Panel" (set "1"), if you need to change something.
Range of use: Solid revolving objects, objects based on regular polygons.
Example 3D scene:|
(requires a vrml-viewer)
view 3D scene
edit 3D scene